Political Forum
 Michel Aoun for President of Lebanon
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rabih Lubnan

12 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  4:45:15 PM  Show Profile
I have not contributed lately to this forum but I am compelled by what is happening to day in Lebanon to bring up the topic of President of the Lebanese Republic.
In all honesty, I endorse General Michel Aoun for next president and I will be happy to argue my point if I receive a feedback.
Thank you in advance for your respectful contributions.
Rabih.

fraizzze

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  10:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit fraizzze's Homepage
Tayyar el Watani el Horr.

Officially, i am not member of this movement.
But it occured that i read its principles and values, and most importantly : its revandications : no more corruption. No more corrupted politicians in our government, and no more politicans with blood on their hands. All records must be opened and justice must come back after 20 years of civil war in lebanon.

I approve 300% this vision, and I encourage the members of this party to pacificly gain power to make these values prevail.

This isnt the issue.

The issue is Aoun.

This ''special'' man. For some, he is the symbol of the new democratic and equitable lebanon for all, poor and rich. For others, he is the strong and consensual Christian voice in an Islamic ocean. And for others finally, he is a murderer. A man who bombed and destroyed many villages and who erased from the map loads of houses in the Lebanese mountains. A general of war, with blood all over his hands, no matter the reasons that pushed him to do some acts.

He says that all other politicians must leave and new ones shall come.
Okay. It is so right.

But him. And everything he represents, what is he still doing ? Why does he want to regain power after all he did? Why does he want to make so many christians frustrated again? Doesn't he understand, as wise as he is, that his role is over? That he should let new people take care of the christians, or of the Tayyar itself? Who is he to give order to the other lebanese politicans? Why, if we wants to open all archives and records about war, doesnt he opens his own records? His own battlefields and his own loads of victims? Why should we accept that our president represents a bloody past?
Jeajea is worst. But he doesnt have the pretention of representing all christians, and most importantly, he doesnt want to impose his candidature as a president because he knows we do not want him anymore. We are fed up of the ghosts from war. The haunted the nigtmares of thousands of lebanese during the last years of war... Aoun might have a right policy today, but presidency shouldnt be for him. It is a fact : he is a guilty as others for the war in Lebanon, and his coming back as president is a step backward... but as i said... the Tayyar movement is a box of potential, and I totally agree with a president from this party.
But we had enough of these bloody politicians full of pretentions : Joumblatt, Jeajea, and Aoun. Enough is enough...
Go to Top of Page

Rabih Lubnan

12 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  11:10:41 AM  Show Profile
Dear Fraizzze, thank you for your reply.
Please allow me to defend the General's as it is only fair since you opened the attack on him.
You may be right, the General faught a war in Lebanon. But let's not distort the record: The purpose of his war was not to destroy villages and kill innocent people. It is unfair to say that: unfair to him, unfair to those who faught with him and unfair to history.
Now he never claimed an exclusive right to nominate the next president, but he said, if the christians must nominate the next president, then he represents most of them as shown by the results of the last parliamentary elections. If you tally the christian votes cast in the last elections, you will find that 60-70% of them went to Aoun and his bloc.
So again in the interest of fairness, there is no single maronite leader currently in parliament more qualified than Aoun to represent the christians.
In addition, do you really want a president without a solid bloc in parliament? Take Botros Harb, he does not even have a bloc to which he can lead. Nassib Lahoud, he is not even a deputy. Unless you want another puppet in Baabda, may be today not for Syria but for other masters, then your best bet is Aoun.
This shall remain so until new parliamentary elections are made and a new leader emerges who can take away the representative power from Aoun.
Electing anyone else to the presidency is akin to electing Abbas Hachem (with all due respect) to the position of Speaker instead of Nabih Berri.
Our history my dear Fraizzze is a bloody history and we can't hide from it. Foolish is the one who thinks that we will have no more blood in the future!!! All of our leaders have blood on their hands: some of them actual blood and some others blood money. Even Saad Hariri. So let's not run away from who we are and from our history and try to hide behind a chicken, gutless weasle who signed with this and said to that in order to avoid persecution. Whatever wrong Michel Aoun has done in the past, he has paid for it in 15 years of exile. Give the man a break and give him to chance to put up or to shut up.
Otherwise, name a candidate who will be better in your view and let's discuss him.
Thank you for your indulgence.
Rabih.
Go to Top of Page

fraizzze

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  1:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit fraizzze's Homepage
Chebli Mallat.
Hopefully this guy will make a bigger campaign to let people know about him. He is a lawyer. A man of letters and of reasons. He has nothing to do with war and other dirty stuff. Yes he lived outside, but 15 million lebanese live outside, and having a president coming from abroad has nothing unusual...in my vision... But i insist : it is my personal point of view, and i fairly know this guy<s chance to be elected are too thin.
But i encourage you to read about this man. He is very good for our country. He doesnt have parti-pris in lebanon. And he is a man of hope...

Best regards

Fred
Go to Top of Page

fraizzze

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  1:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit fraizzze's Homepage
p.s. : this is his official website :

http://www.mallatforpresident.com/profile/profile.php

Fred
Go to Top of Page

Rabih Lubnan

12 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  2:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Dear Fred,
I know of Chibli Mallat a lot. But let us all be clear about one thing, Chibli's interest in the Lebanese cause per se emerged after UNSC 1559. Before that he was a humanitarian lawyer in search of a cause: From trying to sue Israel on behalf of the Palestinians to suing Sharon on behalf of Sabra and Chatila to other causes that in my mind do not pertain to the Lebanese cause per se.
I have nothing against people coming from abroad. Chibli spent 15 years hopping between Europe, the US and BEirut and the General was in exile for 15 years. LIke you said most of the LEbanese people have been pushed abroad for one reason or another.
My problem with Chibli is two-folds: 1) he has no genuine popular base and hence no base in parliament to be an effective president; 2) he has no clearly articulated program for everyday problems (aside from trying to get the March 14 crowd to play tricks here and there with the hope that UN SC 1559 gets implemented by miracle). The idea of 14 deputies signing a letter saying they were forced to ratify the constitution to extend the term of Lahoud, as stupid as this idea is, came from Chibli Mallat. The 1 Million signatures to bring down Lahoud, is also another stupid idea that came from Chibli Mallat.
I think we need a mature, experienced and popular president.
If we were to run another petition asking the people to choose their next president, most Lebanese will choose Aoun (at least that is what recent polls have shown).
So let's use a uniform standard across. I understand your reluctance to accept Aoun and may your despise of Aoun but in the end we all have to bow for the will of the majority if we want a true democracy to flourish in Lebanon.
Do you think G.W. Bush was ever a consensus candidate in the US? NO. He barely won with 50% + of the votes and today he is polling at 34%. But once the die are cast, there is no going back.
Go to Top of Page

fraizzze

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  6:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit fraizzze's Homepage
The only thing i can say to you, finally, is this : if the majority of lebanese vote for Aoun, it is because he is worth it, and i deeply hope that this man is concious about the differences we have in Lebanon, and that his military reflexes will never come back again...

And one last thing : if elections there are, only 3 of the 15 million Lebanese in this world will be able to vote...

Fred
Go to Top of Page

Rabih Lubnan

12 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2006 :  11:25:23 AM  Show Profile
I stand by the General and I believw he is the only one able to lead Lebanon during this crisis without taking us into a civil war again.
Any of the 3 other candidates proffered by March 14 (Lahoud, Harb or Moawwad) are owing to the Hariris for their seat in Parliament. Geagea is trying to loan them some popularity on the street but who in his or her right mind thinks that Nayla Moawwad would make a good president?
As for Nassib Lahoud he could not get himslef elected to Parliament, by what logic they want to force him down our throats as the next president; no charisma, no charm, no leadership style and no genuine follow-up. No we do not a Walid Ghoulmieh in Baabda, we need a leader who can talk freely with all parties without being owing or owned by any one.
We need MICHEL AOUN.
Go to Top of Page

akhalife

5 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  11:07:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rabih Lubnan

I have not contributed lately to this forum but I am compelled by what is happening to day in Lebanon to bring up the topic of President of the Lebanese Republic.
In all honesty, I endorse General Michel Aoun for next president and I will be happy to argue my point if I receive a feedback.
Thank you in advance for your respectful contributions.
Rabih.

Go to Top of Page

akhalife

5 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2006 :  11:17:37 AM  Show Profile
You must be joking right!!!
It is about time that we be smart about our " political figures " that are to represent us!
After having seen both Lahoud and Aoun in action I can truly say that a military person can very rarely turn into a heavy weighing political person.
Furthermore Aoun missed a lot of opportunities to make a heavy political impact, and nowadays it can not be forgiven ( look at the result ! )
We are here because of our past choices in our representative, and this has got to stop.
We need a true Leader, that have a clear position, that care about the constituents, I am not going to vote my heart, but my brain!
And my brain tells me right now that he is not the best out there!
Who is the best?
I am still waiting to see among the new faces ( harb, nassib lahoud, etc... ) who can be the person to step in !
Last year I was Aoun 200%,
this year I consider he messed it up big time. And i think for the next election he needs to parachute himself in the south in order to be elected.
He turned in no time, in another Emile Lahoud, or Franjieh, and we should be done with those people !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Forum for Democracy in Lebanon © Democracy in Lebanon Go To Top Of Page